Current job vacancies within Environmental Standards Scotland
Appointment of Members of the Board of Environmental Standards Scotland
Scottish Ministers are looking to appoint up to two new Members to the Board of Environmental Standards Scotland. The appointments will take effect from 1 April 2023.
Ministers would like to strengthen the Board further by building its capacity in environmental science and corporate governance. Applicants must, therefore, demonstrate evidence of the following:
Role One - Environmental Scientist with a proven track record of offering considered and influential views on strategic environmental issues
- ability to form judgements on the basis of complex information on issues which have a bearing on the approach to, and outcomes of, environmental legal compliance;
- ability to identify the strategic implications of environmental policy and/or law within Scotland, and across the rest of the UK and Europe;
- ability to make credible decisions based on scientific evidence that help drive organisational performance;
- ability to influence the environmental agenda and those who have a stake in that through environmental science.
Role Two – Organisational Governance
- experience of ensuring effective governance at senior management or board level (ideally with some public sector insight);
- ability to articulate what board responsibilities are from a fiscal and legal perspective;
- experience of involvement in implementation of good governance principles;
- understanding of audit and risk management and able to demonstrate effective practical application of that understanding.
Applicants will also be expected to demonstrate evidence of:
- constructive challenge;
- communication and influencing;
- analysis and decision making.
Applications must be received by 5pm on 28 November 2022.
For more information about ESS, visit our What We Do page and watch the video.
For more information about the roles and to apply, please click the button below.
New roles advertised: Appointment of Members of the Board
Recruitment is now open for the following posts within ESS: Appointment of Members of the Board - closing date 28...
How can we help you?
If you want to raise a formal concern over how environmental law is being applied by a public authority in Scotland, please see our pages on How to raise a concern.
For Freedom of Information and Subject Access requests, please see our Freedom of Information pages.
Otherwise, if you have a general query, please contact us by completing this form. If you are unable to send us a message through this form please leave a message on 0808 196 4000.
For media enquiries, please contact: